SciCoh Youth Cheerleading
2018 Season Information
Please read, save and post this information. Dates, times and locations are subject to change. Click here to download.
- Start date for pre-season practice is Tuesday, August 7th, 5:00-7:00pm (location TBD). Pre-season practices will run Tues, Wed, and Thurs from 5:00pm-7:00pm, Aug 7th through Sept 6th . Location TBD.
- Once games start, game teams will practice before their weekly game. Time TBD by coaches.
practice Dress Code & rules
Hair up in a high ponytail with no wispy or loose hairs (wear a soft headband if needed). All cheerleaders must wear a bow.
T-shirt or wide strap tank tops only, with a bra/sports bra if necessary. No spaghetti strap tank tops.
Athletic shorts only, with spandex shorts/briefs under if shorts are loose fitting. No jeans, jean shorts or jean skirts.
ATHLETIC sneakers only - no bare feet, flip flops, sandals, platform, Converse or slip on sneakers.
For safety reasons, no jewelry, no long fingernails, and no nail polish.
We will have one Theme Day practice per week. Cheerleaders are expected to dress for the theme of the day.
Please drop off and pick up on time. No child will ever be left alone to wait for their ride, however, our volunteer coaches should not be kept late at the field waiting for parents to pick up their children.
For safety reasons, cheerleaders at the Mite and Peewee levels (grades 2-6) will not be allowed to leave the practice area without a parent or guardian. You must park your car and walk over to pick up your child.
All cell phones must be turned off during practices. Break time is not cell phone time. No calls or texts without permission from an adult coach.
If practice must be canceled due to severe weather, every effort will be made to let you know. Please check your texts, emails, and the Facebook group before heading to practice on days with questionable weather conditions. If heavy rain and/or thunder and lightning occur during practice, please come to the practice field immediately to pick up your child.
Bring a water bottle. For safety reasons, cheerleaders will not be allowed to practice if they do not bring water.
Use the restroom before coming to practice.
Apply sunscreen and bug spray before coming to practice (if needed).
Unless otherwise noted, all SciCoh cheerleading practices are closed practices. Parents, siblings and friends can be a distraction to our cheerleaders, especially our youngest ones.
practice Attendance policy
Attendance at practices is required to ensure the safety and success of all teams. We cannot safely and efficiently teach halftime and sideline routines when there are absences. If one member of a stunt group is absent, the entire stunt group cannot practice. Empty spaces in cheer and dance formations cause confusion for the rest of the team.
Absences set teams back because of the constant need to play “catch up” at the next practice. Please respect your child’s teammates and coaches by attending all practices.
Any cheerleader having more than three unexcused absences during the pre-season practice schedule (8/7-9/8) will not be placed in a stunting position, and may be removed from the halftime performance if they are unable to learn the missed material in a safe and timely manner. This is done for safety reasons, and also to allow teams to move forward with routines and progression of skills. Please make coaches aware of any anticipated absences BEFORE practices begin on August 7th.
Continued unexcused absences may result in dismissal from the cheerleading program.
Regularly arriving late and/or leaving early from practices will not be tolerated. Coaches will keep track of missed time. If a cheerleader reaches a total of 120 minutes, one unexcused absence will be added to their attendance record.
Excused absences are only allowed for serious/contagious illness, family emergency, etc. Coaches must be notified prior to practices or games in order to be excused. Birthday parties, family trips, other sports/activities, etc are not excused.
If your child will be absent or late for practice, you must contact their coach(es). Please do not rely on teammates to let them know.
- All cheerleaders will be given a vest and skirt for the season.
- Uniforms are the property of the SciCoh program and must be treated accordingly.
- Uniforms are only to be worn on game days, competition days, or other predetermined SciCoh events.
- Uniforms are not to be loaned out to friends or family members.
- Uniforms are not to be worn as Halloween costumes or as costumes in school plays and/or talent shows.
- Uniform Fitting Date – Monday, June 11th, 5:30-7:00PM, location TBD.
- Uniform Handouts will be held in August. Date, time and location TBD. $200 uniform deposit checks are required at handouts. Deposit checks will be destroyed when uniforms are handed back clean and undamaged.
Required Uniform Accessories
- White Bodysuit (full length - not crop), Royal Blue **BOY SHORTS** - purchased online at omnicheer.com, or locally at Broadway Dance Boutique in Norwell. Approximate cost $15 for bodysuit, $7 for briefs.
- Plain Black Leggings (ankle length, not crop or capri; no lace, zippers or rhinestones) - purchased at any major retail store. Cost varies by store.
- Socks - White no-show athletic socks, purchased at any major retail store. Cost varies by store.
- Sneakers – Purchased at Good Sport, Rt 3A Cohasset. Approximate cost $45
- “SciCoh” Game Day Bag - Purchased at Good Sport, Rt 3A Cohasset. Approximate cost $25
- Warm Up jacket and pants - Purchased from Rockland Athletics in August. More info TBA. Approximate cost $85
- Game Day Bow – TBA
- Previously owned items may be available for sale or swap. More info as practice season approaches.
- Our first game will be the weekend of Sept. 9th. (day, time and location TBA). Teams will cheer a total of TEN GAMES PER SEASON - eight regular season games (home and away) and one Playoff game, and one Superbowl game (if football teams qualify). Most games are played on Sunday mornings/afternoons, with the possibility of one or two Saturday evening games.
- CHEERLEADERS ARE EXPECTED TO ATTEND ALL GAMES - EXCUSED ABSENCES ONLY FOR SERIOUS/CONTAGIOUS ILLNESS, OR FAMILY EMERGENCY.
- Pre-game practices will be approximately one hour before each game. Exact practice times TBD by coaches.
- Coaches reserve the right to remove a cheerleader from that day’s halftime performance if they are more than 15 minutes late for the pre-game practice. This is not done as punishment but for safety reasons. During game season, teams do not practice during the week. This pre-game practice is the only time to work on stunts and halftime routines, and ensure the safety of all team members. If a cheerleader is not there on time for the pre-game practice, coaches must change the halftime routine accordingly. It is not safe to change the halftime routine back again when and if the tardy cheerleader arrives.
- If your child will be absent from a game, or late for the pre-game practice, you must contact their coach(es). Please do not rely on teammates to let them know
- Transportation to all games is the responsibility of parents/guardians.
- Game schedules will be made available as soon as they are finalized by the football league.
- Teams cheer in all (safe) weather conditions.
- SciCoh Competition teams will participate in three competitions for the 2018 season.
- Competition Info Meeting – Thursday, August 9th, 6:00pm at the practice field.
- Tentative Competition Dates – Oct 27 or Nov 3, Nov 10, Nov 17
- Competition is not mandatory, however if your child does sign up to compete, choreography is mandatory, all three competitions are mandatory, and all practices are mandatory.
- Pre-Choregraphy Stunt Clinic Thursday 9/6 at East Celebrity Elite Cheer Gym in Hingham
- Peewees 5:00-6:30pm
- Midgets 6:30-8:00pm
- Choreography Dates (2 days per team)
- Mites TBD if there is enough interest in Competition
- Midgets Saturday 9/8 and Saturday 9/15, 9am-3pm each day
- Peewees Saturday 9/8 and Saturday 9/15, 3pm - 9pm each day
- Choreography will take place at East Celebrity Elite Cheer Gym in Hingham.
- CHOREOGRAPHY IS MANDATORY FOR ALL COMPETITION CHEERLEADERS
- There will be a $150 fee for all competition team cheerleaders, due on August 9th.
- Do not share any competition routine/practice pictures or videos on social media, or via text or email, until after our final competition.
If your child is injured and cannot participate at practices and/or games, you must provide a doctor’s note excusing them. You must also provide a doctor’s note clearing them before they can resume any cheerleading activity.
- Tumbling is a very big part of cheerleading. All SciCoh cheerleaders are expected to take tumbling classes to advance their skills. We will schedule private SciCoh classes and clinics throughout the season at East
- Celebrity Elite Cheer Gym in Hingham. These classes are the best option for the desired results, and allow SciCoh cheerleaders to tumble together, encourage each other, and form strong bonds.
- SciCoh Youth Cheerleading will participate in community service projects/events throughout the season. Cheerleaders are expected to participate whenever possible. More information as it becomes available.
- All cheerleaders are required to participate in all SciCoh program fundraisers. Competition cheerleaders may be required to participate in additional fundraisers to help offset competition costs
Baseline Testing Policy
- For the safety of our players and cheerleaders, SciCoh now requires that any player or cheerleader age 10 or older, must have a Baseline Concussion Test before August practices. Baseline tests are good for two years. More info soon.
- Every cheerleader is expected to be on their best behavior at all times - respecting all coaches, junior coaches, board members, teammates, football players, opponents, fans, vendors and game day officials.
- Any behavior considered inappropriate, disruptive, disrespectful and/or unsafe will result in dismissal from the cheerleading program.
- Bullying or harassment of any kind is prohibited, both at cheer and outside of cheer. This includes in person, written, phone calls, emails, texts, and cyber-bullying (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc). Such actions will not be tolerated and will result in dismissal from the program.
- Negative or inappropriate social media posts, texts, pics, etc regarding OCYFL, OCYCA, the SciCoh program, board of directors, coaches, players or cheerleaders are prohibited.
- The use of alcohol, drugs, or tobacco products is prohibited.
- Stunting outside of SciCoh practices and events is prohibited.
- All SciCoh cheerleaders will demonstrate the highest level of good sportsmanship at all SciCoh practices, games, competitions and other events. Poor sportsmanship will not be tolerated and could result in dismissal from the program.
- Our cheerleaders’ actions are a direct reflection on their teammates, coaches, the SciCoh program, as well as the towns of Scituate and Cohasset. Please act accordingly.
All questions and concerns should be directed to Scicoh Cheerleading Director: Sheila Mahoney at email@example.com